Saturday, May 1, 2010

For Saïd aspirants...

Benefited lots from various forums/blogs and thought of putting in few lines myself for future aspirants, on my journey to hearing the musical honey-laden words - 
"you are admitted":

By mid 2009, I had come to realize the need for me to get back to school and gather the necessary tools and techniques to come back and employ in the industry.

Step 1: GMAT - I started preparations during August. Official Guide, Manhattan guides/tests and Princeton reviews. If you are preparing by yourself and have been out of touch with such competitive exams for a while, plan for at least 3-4months of studies and practice. 

The best thing I did was to join www.gmatclub.com early on during preparations. Very valuable community support and a plethora of resources.
Step 2: Identify schools - I had made up my mind to study in Europe. Which helped narrow down the scope. Oxford was the first choice. While choosing the schools to apply to, I looked at what the school has on offer and how close is that to my requirements and desires. Looked at syllabus, faculty, teaching methodologies, projects, networking, international representation and reputation (+ranking of-course). 

These two youtube videos will give a good idea on SBS, for people not already familiar:

Oxford University 


Saïd Business School 


(more can be found at http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk)

In addition to a management education, I was looking for an vivid experience, towards which Oxford (SBS itself, the college - every student has to join a college too, and the University) simply has so much in the form of sports, societies, events and so forth.

[On the lighter side, looking at the number of pubs and parties in Oxford, I expect to get an additional MBA (Master of Beer Assessment) when I graduate!]

At the same time, I knew that it is going to be tough to get into the school of my choice, given that I belong to the most well-represented demographics and thus was prepared for putting in super-extra efforts in further steps.

It is important to time your application. Advisable to be in round-1 or round-2. But then, if you feel that you are not completely ready and some more work can improve your chances, do not rush in.

Step 3a: Essays and CV - Finished the CV first. Got a friend to review it (Had to get 5pages trimmed to 1 page. most of the schools have it mandatory). I took up one school's essays at a time. This is very important part of your application and after GMAT, the most time consuming. It took me 2-3 weeks for essays of one application. I reviewed it as many times possible. Also requested a friend of mine to read it and must have modified each essay ~5-10 times. If you have the spare cash to get professional help for proof-reading, that takes some load off the shoulders too. 

SBS gives topics (which are same for past few years) for two essays. Good thing here is that the word-limits are not miserly, on the other hand they are vast and cover a lot of ground:

1) Explain why you chose your current job. How do you see your career developing over next 5 years? How will an MBA assist you in the development of these ambitions? 1000words
2) Which recent development, world event or book has most influenced your thinking and why? 2000words

I gathered that SBS is looking for mature candidates (thought-process wise); after all it's a place where you "think rigorously and grow intellectually". 

Step 3b: Recommendations - The school asks for two recommendations. I asked my current boss and a previous colleague to act as a referee. I informed them 4weeks+ in advance and called/discussed about my application highlights and the essay details. At the same time I asked them to be very open and fill-in their true thoughts. 
I'm glad to have given them enough time as one of them gave the feedback that it is a multi-page form, very thorough. I don't get to see what they'd input.

Was in time for the R2 deadline.

Step 4: Interview - It took ~1 month from the time I submitted the application to the declaration cleared candidates. It is an excruciating wait. People have recommended to go and attend personal interview (if possible, plan for a open-day where you get to meet current students, faculty and maybe attend a class too). 

Unfortunately, due to work schedule and what-not, I couldn't make the trip. SBS gives an option of telephonic, skype and personal interview. I chose telephonic because it was one of the early slots available. 
Unlike other B-Schools, the Oxford interview is more structured (at least I felt it to be so), and is taken by faculty or sector-consultant (who is assigned, I think, to match your work-background). 

In addition to "why MBA", "why SBS", quite a few behavioral questions... "negative qualities", "leadership points" and one psychoanalytical-type question, something of the kind "if I give you the power to be anybody for a day, who would you be and why". This is not the question I was asked though, but was on similar lines. I regretted not being able to make for personal interview as on reflection I had this feeling that I could have made some of my points stronger in a face-to-face discussion.

Another excruciating ~one-month wait before the results. Patience is one of the managerial virtues too :-)
I saw the email during transit and the next leg of journey was in high-skies in every sense. 

One big THANKS to the support from folks at home and the constant help of a dear friend to make it happen.


Step 5: Funding and Scholarships - Within a month of getting the offer, I need to secure the place by paying a deposit of GBP4,950 which is later offset against course fee.
SBS fee is GBP33,000, college fee GBP3,000 and living expenses ~GBP12,000 (increases every year). So I need to provide a financial guarantee of ~GBP48,000. Including airfare and travels, I reckon the total tab for me to be ~GBP50,000 for the one year full-time MBA.


Scholarship is another of the reasons you would want to apply in R1. There are SBS scholarships, college scholarships (see individual college's website; 38 colleges) and University scholarships, one can apply to.


For people who are starting early and have more than one year for their application, start your search for outside scholarships in parallel to Step1 of GMAT (depending on place, there are options with World Bank, regional governements etc. which needs applications well in advance).




Step 5 is not the final one for Oxford as there is the process of getting into a college after you get admitted to SBS (though I haven't heard of any case yet, where all of the colleges have refused admission to a candidate resulting in cancellation of SBS offer!) .
Yet another reason to be an early bird (R1) . The popular colleges get filled before R2, R3 selections complete.

Choosing a college is another part of the Oxford experience, even before you start there, very unique, very.. "Magical!"




Good-Luck to all applicants!

No comments:

Post a Comment